Sir George Monoux College strives to support students during their studies here, in order for them to progress to university and/or employment. All College staff hold high expectations for students and encourage them to achieve their full potential.
Over 600 of our students progress to university every year, with a high proportion going on to graduate from Russell Group universities. Our 2015 leavers received a record number of Russell Group university offers. Our students secure university places at over 75 different universities across the United Kingdom and worldwide.
We work closely with parents and guardians throughout the academic year to ensure clarity, communication and expectations. We hold a Higher Education Parents Evening, in which parents and guardians will be able to find out more about the university application procedure and the important issues regarding finance at university. We also hold a Parents' Induction at the start of each academic year, to give parents an insight into college study and how they can support their child's journey to success.
We offer an extensive programme to help students develop their talents and help them to prepare for application to university. We have strong links with many organisations that specialise in university progression, such as the Social Mobility Foundation, The London Brokerage, SOAS Scholars, LSE Choice, K+, UCL UniLink and Into University. Some of our university initiatives include:
Higher Education Initiatives
- HE and Careers Day, with over 100 universities and employers visiting the College to run academic sessions, offer advice and provide invaluable networking opportunities.
- The Nuffield Bursary Scheme, which allows students to carry out their own scientific research project with university academics.
- Socrates Essay Competitions
- Debating Society
- Cambridge Villiers Park courses.
- Breakfast & Supper Clubs
- University application support from our dedicated and expert Higher Education team, including 1:1 guidance and support
- Teaching and tutoring that will stretch and challenge all
- Educational university visits
- Visits and talks by university academics
- Personal Statement workshops
- Mock interviews
- University Recognition Award in partnership with Middlesex University
- The opportunity to become involved in the College’s various leadership programmes, including the Student Union, Student Council, Tutor Group Representative scheme or Student Action Learning Team
- Projects with the Runnymeade Trust on the 'Campaign To End Racism Now'
- Local links including working closely with local MP Stella Creasy on social inequality issues
We work with a wide variety of universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, King’s College London, Queen Mary, UCL, LSE, Westminster and Southampton to name but a few. We have developed close partnerships with institutions such as University of Leicester, who offer our students a number of scholarships; and London Metropolitan University, who run a mentoring scheme. Students will also have the opportunity to gain a University Recognition Award in partnership with Middlesex University for those who show potential to become excellent undergraduates.
Our links with universities means you will be able to partake in initiatives run by academics and staff from these institutions, including university mentoring, academic masterclasses and tailor-made educational visits by academics from a range of disciplines.